A pricing rule can control how prices are retrieved and saved in some sales modules, namely Sales Order, Invoice, and Sales Receipt. Use this module to give suggested prices and restrict maximum discounts for users in the system.
The Pricing Rule Module
Pricing Rule Header
- Active: Check this box to apply this rule. Uncheck this box to not apply this rule.
- Show As Discount: The check box in the Pricing Rule module allows users to display the rule as a discount. Read here for more details.
- Rule Name: Enter a description for the pricing rule here.
- Rule Type: There are 2 options here: “Price Level” and “Restriction”.
- Price Level: Use a Pricing Level if you want to override the default Standard Unit Price that is fetched in Sales modules. For instance, if you want a particular customer to have a set discount on a brand of items, use a Pricing Level. With an active Pricing Level, you will notice the default Standard Unit Price is overridden with the criteria that you have set.
- Pricing Restriction: Use a Pricing Restriction if you want to restrict how low Sales Reps in the system can sell items to customers. For instance, if you don’t want any item to be sold below cost you can set up a Pricing Restriction for this. Restrictions can then be manually overridden and approved by management.
- Recipient Type: Select the recipient for this rule. “Customer” will only apply the rule to a specific customer, “Customer Group” will only apply the rule to a group of customers, and “Any” will apply the rule to all customers.
- Recipient: If “Any” is not selected for “Recipient Type”, then enter a “Customer” or “Customer Group” that this rule will apply to.
- Item Type: Select the type this rule will apply to. “Item” will only apply to a specific item, “Item Group” will only apply to a group of items, “Item Brand” will apply to all items within a brand, and “Any” will apply to all items.
- Item: If “Any” is not selected for “Item Type”, then enter an “Item”, “Item Group”, or “Item Brand”, that this rule will apply.
- Tag Type: Select one: Customer/Item/Task/Any.
- Tags: The Type of Tag selected.
Pricing Rule Criteria
- Price Currency: Select the Price Currency from the dropdown.
- Price Adj Type: Select the pricing equation to apply for this rule. See here for more details.
- Operator: Select the equation’s operation to apply for this rule.
- Value: Select the value to use in the pricing equation.
- Cost Type: Select the cost type to use in the pricing equation.
- Date Range: Enable this feature and select a date range if you want this pricing rule to be seasonal and should only apply for certain days of the year.
- Qty Range: Enable this feature and enter a quantity range if you want this pricing rule to only apply for select quantities.
Note that Restrictions and Rules are the best set up by creating them, testing them in the Sales Order module by selecting a customer, and adding an item that is both affected by the Restriction/Rule. If something needs to adjust go back to the rule and make your edit, then test it again.